Iran’s Leader Calls Trump ‘Psychotic,’ Warns of Revenge

The uprising appears to have largely died down following a crackdown and the imposition of severe restrictions on social media. However, protests reportedly flared in the city of Ahvaz on Monday night, a resident said in a telephone interview, as demonstrators and security forces clashed inside the city. The resident asked not to be identified for fear of reprisals.

In Arak, a city that has seen numerous protests, a local prosecutor, Abbas Qassemi, told the Mizan news agency on Tuesday that an inmate had committed suicide in a detention center.

“There is evidence on the body showing that the man had stabbed himself,” said Mr. Qassemi, who did not identify the man or provide video evidence. “Moreover, the footage of the moment he committed suicide is available.”

On Monday, human rights advocates reported that a young peddler by the name of Vahid Heydari, who was arrested on New Year’s Eve, had died in what the prosecutor called a suicide in a detention center in Arak. It is unclear if this was the same person.

Human rights advocates and many Iranians have raised doubts about these official reports of suicides, saying the protesters had died while in custody but not by their own hand.

Such was the case with Sina Ghanbari, 23, who officials say killed himself inside Tehran’s Evin prison, known for its harsh conditions and treatment of prisoners, and where many protesters are being held.

“On the dawn of Saturday, one of the prisoners of the Evin prison named Sina Ghanbari, son of Ali Akbar, went to the quarantine toilet and killed himself through hanging,” Mostafa Mohebbi, the head of the Tehran Province Prisons Department, told the semiofficial ISNA agency on Tuesday.

A popular actress, Mahnaz Afshar, repeating popular sentiment, responded on Twitter, saying the death was unacceptable. “No justification is acceptable for the death of a 23-year-old youth, more so in the quarantine ward of Evin prison. #Sina_Ghanbari.”

Others accused prison officials of having injected Mr. Ghanbari with an overdose of methadone, though they could not cite any evidence. It is unclear whether he participated in the protests or was arrested for something else.

Nasrin Sotoudeh, a well-known human rights lawyer and activist, who herself has done several stints in Evin prison for political activities, said that she had been informed by inmates that at least three people had died in the prison in recent days.

“In some cases hundreds of people are packed in rooms that can only accommodate 120 people,” she said. “They must be freed as soon as possible before some react badly or, god forbid, commit suicide.”

Continue reading the main story

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *